1. Navigation
  2. Inhalt
  3. Herausgeber
Inhalt

The Saxon State Chancellery - A Building with colourful History

The Saxon State Chancellery is located in the so-called »collective ministry«, the complex, which used to be the headquarters of the former royal ministries of the interior, culture and public education, and justice. The neo-baroque building was constructed between 1900 and 1904 as a counterpart to the Ministry for Finance, located across the street.

Building Utilisation

Building Utilisation

The varied uses of the ministerial complex at the Neustadt bank of the river, today the home of the Saxon State Chancellery and the State Ministry for Environment and Agriculture (SMUL), reflect the turbulent history of the Free State.

Planning & Construction

Planning & Construction

In a book published in 1907 by construction supervision on the development and use of the building, Dr. Eng. Mackowsky wrote: »When royal splendour and the emerging middle classes of Dresden gave rise to the most magnifiscent buildings in Dresden at the beginning of the 18th century, the new part of the city on the right side of the Elbe river was practically forgotton.«

Historical Figure

Historical Figure

The general style of the building can be classed as neo-baroque, with individual art nouveau features. In order to create a relationship with the magnificent baroque architecture in the old part of the city and the Finance Ministry directly across the street, the builders decided on Posta sandstone for the facade.

Modernisation

Modernisation

During the Second World War, the ministerial complex suffered a lot less damage that many of the historical buildings of Dresden. However, the conditions within the complex after the reunification were such that they no longer supported the requirements of the headquarters of a state government and its ministries.

Marginalspalte


Illustration

© Institution